Why do we add shares to an account?
There are times when you want to add shares of a security from an account without affecting your cash balance. For example, you may inherit shares or receive them as a gift. These transactions are different from Buys, and TradeMax provides you with such a function to better manage your portfolio.
- The cost per share for inherited shares is generally the value of the shares on the date that the deceased died or on an alternative valuation date. When you receive the inherited shares, record the cost per share on that date
- The cost per share for gift shares depends on the value of the shares on the date of the gift and the price that the giver paid for the shares, as well as your sale price if you sell the shares.
Follow the step-by-step wizard to add shares to the account.
- Select the record to which you want to add the shares.
- Right-click on the selected record and select the Event Append in the context menu, then choose Shares Added to Account in the dropdown list
- A dialog box will pop up:
- Type the information into the box:
- There are two kinds of transactions in the dropdown list: Shares Added to Account and Shares Removed from Account. The default Transaction depends on your location in previous step
Select the Transaction Date with your mouse or enter using your keyboard
- Account is the account to which the selected record belongs .
- Security Name is the name of the security you have selected. You can select security name from the dropdown list. If the security name diosen’t exist in the dropdown list, you can selectto add a new one through editing the dialog box.Learn more about: Symbol box parameter
- Enter the number of shares you’re adding.
- In Notes field, you can enter a description or leave it blank.
- After checking the information, click the OK button to continue the process. You will see the following grid:As you see from the picture, the new record is generated automatically.
- You can cancel this action with the Undo Button in the trade tab.